Pumpkin Shoots & Leaves Curry
By Indra Chauwan
6 one foot long pumpkin shoots with leaves attached
2 medium sized hot peppers
½ tomato chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 onion sliced
dash of turmeric for color and smell (optional)
1 garlic clove finely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1) Strip the pumpkin shoots of all the leaves and stems, keeping the younger, softer leaves for the dish and tossing the larger, older leaves in the trash.
2) Peel the stringy skin off of the pumpkin shoots and cut into bite size pieces.
3) Wash the leaves and shoot pieces in strainer.
4) Heat the vegetable oil on high in a medium sized sauce pan.
5) Lower to medium heat and sauté onions and peppers until lightly brown.
6) Add the pumpkin shoots and leaves and continue sautéing.
7) Then mix in the garlic and tomato, add a little water, turn heat to high, and cover pan for about 3 minutes.
8) Uncover the pan, add the salt and the dash of turmeric, and stir frequently. It is also good to mash the chunks of tomato in the pan with the back of a spoon to release the juice.
9) Add a little more water to avoid drying out the vegetables and then cook until most of water is reduced.
10) Serve over rice.
Friday, October 26, 2012
Recipe of the Month
at 11:32 AM