Sunday, March 4, 2012

HCET 3-4

For our community hours this week Annie and I visited the ESL class at Oasis apartments. We came prepared with flyers and pens, ready to take numbers of refugees who wanted to harvest on Fridays with us. When we arrived in the community room three refugee children immediately surrounded us, asking our names, shaking our hands, showing us the homework they were working on. Their names were Nima, Yosef, and Ruta and they ranged in age from about 6 to 9. They ended up being our guides through the apartments at Oasis, knocking on the doors of their numerous neighbors and translating for Annie and I. These three were full of energy and so excited to meet new people; I think they thought of us as big playmates. Once we had finished knocking on the doors we spent a few more minutes with the kids. They asked us if we went to college and told us about their elementary school. After we left all I could think of was how bright and happy the kids were. Although their parents may have struggled in coming to the United States, these three children were safe, well taken care of, and able to go to school. Seeing their excited little faces made my week, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to go back and visit them again.

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment