Sunday, January 22, 2012

First week at Iskashitaa

What a great first week with Iskashitaa! As the new intern for Iskashitaa harvesting, I’ve spent the past 5 days learning all about coordinating a harvest. There are so many small details to remember but thankfully I have Mike and my fellow intern Annie to show me the ropes. Much of my time was spent contacting refugees to volunteer in our Friday afternoon harvest. The language barrier is difficult, but I’ve learned that a few key words, like “Iskashitaa”, “fruit”, and “harvest”, are well understood. I’m hoping that as I continue calling refugees searching for volunteers, my cross-cultural communication will improve and I will start to develop personal relationships with them. Unfortunately, no refugees were able to join us for the harvest Friday, but we had a great team of volunteers harvesting grapefruits, oranges, and kumquats. Picking citrus on a beautiful afternoon was a great way to get out of the classroom and get my hands dirty and I can’t wait for next week. Annie and I will be harvesting every Friday from 2-4 so come out and join us, we’d love to work with you!

-Sam Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment